Notable Dates

2001 Stencil work in the chancel refurbished.
1997 The olds school rebuilt and opened as the Parish Rooms.
1980 Church extended and meeting room built at a cost of £105,000.
1972 Stained glass window in memory of Lorna Limpus erected in the porch. Additional vestry area built.
1960s Memorial garden created in front of the church.
1957 Interior of the body of the church repainted white.
1935 Electricity installed.
1931 Stained glass window in the sanctuary commissioned.
1910 The baptistry window inserted about this time.
1903 Installation of the east window.
1895 The chancel screen erected.
1894 The baptistry dedicated, and the new font installed.
1893 The organ installed.
1892 The new chancel built at a cost of £1,677.
1887 Verwood became a Parish, and was licenced to publish banns and solemnise marriages.
1886 Major reconstruction to the church at a cost of £700.
1879 The Sims Bread Charity begun. Daniel Sims, a local wheelwright, and son of a notorious local smuggler, left the bulk of his estate “to be given away in best bread at Verwood church chapel by the churchwardens on St. Thomas Day every year to the inhabitants of Verwood”. 21st December became known locally as “Dan’s Day”.
1870 A brick chancel extended the eastern end of the church. The cost – £250 – raised by public subscription.
1840 Verwood’s own Baptism and Burial Registers started. Before this they had been kept by Cranborne.
1837 The church used as a schoolroom for 10 years.
1829 The first chapel built on this site within a half-acre chapelyard.

– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –